[X4U] Remote Access to Mobile Laptop - Any Solution

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Wed Feb 4 04:34:32 PST 2009

>I would like to find a way to access a laptop
>(for support purposes) which will be mobile and
>connecting from different Internet cafés or
>other locations where the preconfiguration of a
>NAT router to a known local IP number is not
>possible.
>
>The laptop has dynamic IP software installed, so
>it will phone home with the current WAN IP
>number with which it would be connected to at
>any given time. But how, with Timbuktu, Apple
>Remote Access, VNC, GoToMyPC, or whatever, might
>I be able to access it behind a NAT router (what
>I assume to be the most likely scenario) which
>won't have any port forwarding set up, and with
>which we will have no administrative control?

Maybe TeamViewer would do it for you.  It's free
for personal use, works on Macs (OS X 10.4 and
10.5) and Windows.  It works really well.  If
both you and the client version have the full
version ("supporter" version) then it can be set
up for unattended support. If the client just
installs the "quick support" module, then he can
ask you for support (by phone or text message)
and then let you onto his system.

Main page:

<http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx>

Download supporter and client versions: