[X4U] When did the switch to glossy screens occur?

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 05:09:17 PST 2009

>OK, I think I figured it out that it occurred with the introduction
>of the early 2008 models.
>
>But how can I easily figure out if a model is older than that? I
>mean, if I'm just talking to someone on the phone, and they don't
>have a clue as to what I mean by glossy vs. matte (believe me, it's
>happened), can the person look at the model number on the computer?
>Or can I tell by processor speed or anything else?

Another useful resource is to insert the computer's serial number  in
the box at this page:
<http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html>
and click the button to get details about a machine.  It will tell
you the year the machine was manufactured and the week within that
year.

The serial number of the machine can be found in the System Profiler
at the bottom of the Hardware category.

Daly