[X4U] Using OS-X Install disks

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Sun Jan 4 05:55:57 PST 2009

On 1/4/09 7:09 AM, Ken Johnson wrote:

> I have the disks that originally came with my MacBook-Pro (10.5.X),
> that I tried to use in my Mac-Mini.  Looked like it would work, but at
> the last minute did not.  I'm certain that I've seen a way around this
> problem, but can't find it - any ideas?

Is your Mac Mini an iNtel Mac, like your MacBook Pro is? Or is it an older
PowerPC Mac Mini? Typically you can't use the model-specific installs discs
that come with a computer to install on another computer, but as you say
there are ways around it -- as long as you're not trying to mix iNtel and
PowerPC versions of hard- and software.

You could test to see if the version of Mac OS X that's on your MacBook Pro
would boot your Mini by booting the MacBook Pro into Target Disk Mode,
connecting it to your Mini with a Firewire cable, and then starting up the
Mini from the OS on the MacBook Pro. If that works, you could try the
reverse of that procedure: Boot the Mini in Target Disk Mode, connect it to
the MacBook Pro with a Firewire cable, and then install the OS on the Mini's
hard disk. Disconnect and reboot the Mini normally. Be aware that the Mini
still may not boot; versions included with individual models are not meant
for installation on any other model, and even if it boots you may find
certain components work differently than they did via Target Disk Mode, or
are missing from the Mini altogether.

Good luck,
Linda