[X4U] Using USB Modem to wake a sleeping Mac?

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat Jan 10 23:24:32 PST 2009

I'd like to leave my computer asleep, but to be able to awaken it in
case I need to use Remote Desktop, or to open an afp link to browse/
transfer files, etc.

I remember seeing an option in Energy Saver to awaken the Mac if the
phone rings into the modem.  My iMac doesn't come with a Modem.

If I attach an Apple USB modem...

1) does the option to wake up with modem ring show up in the Energy
Saver panel?  (I don't see the option available in the Energy Saver
panel, and I'd hate to buy an Apple modem, only to find out that it
doesn't magically appear in the panel

2) will a USB modem suffice to allow me to wake my computer with a
phone call?

Is anyone using a USB modem on their Mac nowadays, and can confirm
that this works?

Thanks!