[X4U] Safari and latest Flash player

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Thu Jan 15 08:43:30 PST 2009

On 1/15/09 9:46 AM, zapcat wrote:

> when friends link me to You Tube for the latest must-see, Safari
> tells me that I need to install the latest Flash player. I did just
> that, yet still get the warning.
>
> No such problem with Firefox..
>
> what up such that safari can not display flash on you tube while
> firefox on THE very same computer can?

I fought that VERY same issue for months, assuming that I was right and
Safari -- and/or the Web sites I was viewing -- were wrong, since I could
view the same sites in Firefox and Camino with no problem or error.

I finally got so tired of it that I downloaded the installer again, quit
Safari *before* launching it instead of waiting for the "please quit
browsers now" message, and ran it again.

And surprise, surprise, Safari's Flash plugin now works.

My problem is different in that I *could* view YouTube on Safari, because
YouTube's minimum requirements are (or were last week) for a much older
version of Flash. It was just "new" content, such as CNN or NYT or Adobe's
site, that I couldn't view in Safari.

~Linda