[X4U] Yahoo is Tracking Group Members

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 15 11:16:57 PST 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 11:48 AM, Linda wrote:

> On 1/14/09 5:17 PM, Konrad Waibel wrote:
>
>> This has come up since at least early 2003, and has even appeared on
>> this very list before today.
>
> In fact, Yahoo hasn't changed its policies nor procedures wrt this
> issue in
> 8 years. If you've opted out in the past and kept your cookie, you
> should
> still be fine. :-)
>
> It's not a bad idea to check, but this marketing preferences issue
> is not
> some new Yahoo thing, not at all.
>
> Considering the services Yahoo provides groups for FREE, I'm
> surprised that
> they allow us to opt-out.
>
> ~Linda

Linda:
I cannot really answer your question but look at it this way.
There are MANY users of YAHOO who are lets say novices and do not
have a clue about how the Internet works. When they see/hear that any
company is "spying" on them they get scared and run away. There are
also users that lets say live two different lives one they display
everyday to their families and one a "private" life.
I would suggest that the people who live two different lives are
afraid of becoming known (what they do in their "other" life) to
families and friends.

Ed