[X4U] Difference between vid cards

Wayne Clodfelter wayneclodfelter at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 26 09:53:44 PST 2009

Ed Gould wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2009, at 11:32 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> I think it probably has much more to do with the speed of the
>> processor that the speed of your video card.
>>
>> Michael
>
> David,
>
> I think it maybe a combination of both. RAM is cheap you can  *NEVER*
> have too much RAM. I have to have an extra large video card for my 30"
> screen. In the pre MAC days I always used XGA video cards but they could
> not have kept up with the current video cards. I am quite happy with
> mine (ATI RADEON 9650 256M ) I was debating if I should go up but this
> card suits my needs. I am NOT a game player.
>
> Ed
>

>> On Jan 25, 2009, at 10:19 PM, Crandon David wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it does vary according to what/where I'm watching. Definately
>>> not related to the speed of the internet connection. I've got a cable
>>> modem connection that can download up to 6MB per second.

I thought my cable modem was slow until lightning hit my old router (and
a few more things) a few months back. What a difference the new gigabit
router made!
Cable modem speed is one thing--and what they tell you they have and
what you are getting may be different depending on number of users on
the network. Then, if you are distributing through a router or switch,
that part of your network might be bottlenecking the throughput. Not to
mention the number of visitor-viewers sharing the bandwidth of the
server hosting the video you are watching.
--
Regards,

Wayne Clodfelter
<wayneclodfelter at mindspring.com>