[X4U] "Startup disk almost full" alert (10.4.11)

LA Licata lalicata at alum.rpi.edu
Thu Jan 29 07:32:04 PST 2009

I started recently erasing free disk space with a single pass on my
internal drive. The why I started is not important.

After the first pass is done, an alert that is worded something like
"Your hard drive is almost full. You should erase some
files" (probably not the exact phase, but close)  pops up.

I am on a 17" PB, 1.5 Ghz power pc G4, 1 GB DDR SDRAM, 10.4.11, all
software up-to date. My TOSHIBA MK8025GAS 74.53 GB drive has  31.77
GB free out of an available 74.41 GB. Percentage wise, 57% of the
drive capacity is used.

During the free space wipe process, there appears to be a temp file
written which seems to added about 4-5% to this number. Within
minutes of the first pass being completed, and after this alert pops
up, this temp file appears to be deleted as the indicated drive space
used drops back down to 57%.

So, could should one suggest why I am getting the "my drive is almost
full" popup?

Thanks for listening.

Lee