[X4U] Blu Ray on Mac

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 14:40:42 PST 2009

On Jan 29, 2009, at 12:57 PM, Eugene wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:09:04PM CST, Ed Gould
> <edgould1948 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Eugene mentioned:
>>>
>>> Top-post blows.
>>>
>>> Yes, there is.
>>>
>>> <http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/>
>>
>> Thanks. I wonder what software supports them. Toast (may or may
>> not) and
>> others .
>
> Read the web page.  MCE says native Mac OS X support to read/write
> data.
> And MCE will also sell you Toast 9 to make Blu-ray movies.
> However, no
> playback of Blu-ray movies:

Eugene,

Thanks. I looked several months ago and they didn't say anything
(that I could see). It sort of half answers though then what do you
use to play back with.

I only looked at blue-ray for back up to be honest. I am not into
authoring so the backup support would be my number one priority (that
means read/write) .
I wonder how many people would buy it for anything else.  I suppose
authoring is one option but very few people I know have a high def
camcorder (actually 1 person is going that way in a month) But I
think their plan is to record and play in regular dvd quality. The
person does do authoring but he says until the demand is there he
will stick with regular DVD's. Now granted he does not do mainstream
stuff mostly history type video's like trolley cars etc he says that
audience that he sells to is solid DVD and has not had one request
for high def. Now he is in a strange position as there are no films
in high def so anything that would show up on the screen would be
regular DVD. He does record interviews with people who were street
car operators and the like so that would be high def. I just do not
see high def catching on anytime soon, especially for the stuff he does.

Ed

Ed