[X4U] External HD: 750 gig to 699 when formatted. Why???

Rod Buchanan lists at sofstats.com
Thu Jun 11 11:17:02 PDT 2009

On May 24, 2009, at 12:27 PM, Germain M. wrote:

> Hello,
> I bought a SimpleTech 750gig external HD. It was Windows formatted
> in the first place. Once mounted, info window showed the drive had
> 699 gig free. As suggested in the instruction manual (and as should
> be done) anyway), I reformated the drive Mac OS Extended journaled.
> Still 699 gig free. Is there a way te recover this huge amount of
> lost gig? What are they used for and by what (whom)? Are there some
> hidden Windows programs and files left on the HD. If so, how to et
> rid of them to recover that space?

Nothing to recover except "marketing speak."

What you're seeing its the difference between decimal values and
binary values, i.e. 1000 "cubed" (1000^3) and 1024 cubed (1024^3).  To
see what I mean enter this

	(750*(1000^3))/(1024^3)

in Google and you'll get 698.491931.

Here is a link to a page on Seagate's site that explains it better
(all one line):

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Storage_Capacity_Measurement_Standards_-_Seagate_Technology&vgnextoid=9493781e73d5d010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

HTH,

--
Rod

"Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet.
He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be
somewhere else."
     -- Delenn to Captain Drake in Babylon 5:"Severed Dreams"