[X4U] Current MacBook Pro lineup?

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Fri Jun 19 12:41:14 PDT 2009

My current laptop is a 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo that I bought
refurbished a couple of years ago from Apple.com. I'm the tech manager
for a small Kansas publishing co, and I've been slowly replacing our
old PowerMacs with Intel Macs that support at least 4GB of RAM through
a mixture of Intel Mac minis and iMacs, to prepare for deployment of
Snow Leopard sometime early next year. I'm looking to upgrade my
laptop to meet my new minimum requirements, as my current Book only
goes to 2GB of RAM, and has a measly 100GB HD, which now that we are
using Youtube and other video to supplement our website editorial
offerings, 100GB is puny.

I've had a regular MacBook before, so don't mind the glossy screen,
because when I need to process photos for production, I'm at the main
office using extended desktop on a nice, bug external monitor with a
matte finish. However, I'm not sure if I can go back to a 13" display,
now that I've used a 15" one for a couple of years. There's been some
refurbished last generation 15" MacBook Pros in the $1400-$1500 range
at the Online Apple Store that support at least 4GB of RAM, and have
250-320GB HDs, or would it be worthwhile to spend an extra 200-300 or
so for the just released ones? Most of our digital cameras are lower
end Olympus that use the xD picture card, so i don't have much that
would utilize the SD card slot on the new ones.

Joe