[X4U] Finder not responding

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 12:03:12 PDT 2009

Sometime in the middle of the night the finder stopped working. (not
responding).

IIRC the last thing I did was to d/l a new version of Graphic
Converter and install it on to my HD. Everything seemed OK except
when I tried to start it up it crashed. I filled out the problem and
shipped it off to APPLE/Graphic converter.

I renamed the new version to something else and then renamed the old
version back. However the finder started to go flaky around this
time. I rebooted and the issue continued.

I ran TECHTOOL pro on all my drives to make sure there was no disk
corruption or file corruption. TT reported zero problems.

There is one folder however that might be an issue. It is open on my
desk top and it will not go away. I cannot close it and killing the
finder does not help.

Anyone have an idea as to how I can get the folder to close so I can
get rid of it? I would like to keep its contents (if possible) but
its not life or death.

I am *GUESSING* that the finder is choking on that folder as it opens
but never displays the content. What might be ideal is to close it at
boot time so the finder doesn't see it.

I can then delete it.

ANy suggestions on how to tell OS X not to open folders that were
open at close down?

This is puzzling as TT Pro insists that there are no issues with my HD
(s).

I can see find not responding but the system half way works if I do
not use the finder.

Help is locked out with a spinning beach ball.

Ed

Ed