[X4U] Not an OS X issue but ....

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 12 15:02:12 PDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:

> Ed I wonder if the emails about cancelling your account were span
> themselves. I suspect that tour paypal account us alive and well.
> You might just try going directly to paypals site and trying to log
> in.

It is possible I guess. It seemed though every time I visited paypal
I would get a few more of these. When I did forward the phishing
email to them I would get a response saying yes we know about them or
a thank you for reporting them.
PAYPAL must have been hacked or I would not have been getting all
these phishing attacks telling me to update my paypal account. Even
if they weren't I find it interesting that PAYPAL would tell you to
update my account when the account was current with all pertinent
information.

*IF* paypal was trying to communicate with me they blew it because
there were *SO MANY* emails over a few months. On the OTHER extreme I
have a monthly account that pays for USENET and when my charge card
expires I find out because I can't login and I have to set up a new
account. I complained to them and they say they NEVER email account
holders for any reason. Personally I find email to me saying my
credit card is about to expire entirely acceptable.  So there seems
to be two extreme ways of handling issues.

I have essentially marked as SPAM any communication from PAYPAL as a
result.  They do(did?) seem to acknowledge that PAYPAL was hacked so
I am guessing the hack got at least members email address. No
(erroneous) charges were ever made on my CC.

The small computer world does not seem to take security serious, IMO.
Its even worse when companies like MS just blow smoke around when it
comes to security.

Ed