[X4U] Can you delete a file(move to the trash) in spotlight?

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Mon Mar 16 10:24:56 PDT 2009

On 3/16/09 6:52 AM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> It also worked in Tiger.  Ed, just choose "Show All" after doing a
> successful Spotlight search, then use Command-Delete on items in the
> list that you want to delete.  They will disappear from the Found
> Items list as you go along.

I just tried it in Mac OS X 10.4.11 and these instructions didn't work for
me. I created a folder called Delete This Test Folder on my Desktop;
Spotlighted for it (first item on the list, of course); Show all, clicked to
highlight the name of the folder, and got the error sound I have chosen for
my System, not the Moved to Trash sound. So I clicked the "i" button and
tried highlighting the name and Command Delete, but nope; tried clicking to
highlight any of the other info in the resulting dropdown, but nope.
<sigh>

Command Delete, however, does work when you do Command F to find things
instead of Spotlight's blue magnifying glass, in Mac OS X 10.4.11. In that
resulting pane, a quick highlight and Command Delete sent the folder right
into Trash.

~Linda