[X4U] Can you delete a file(move to the trash) in spotlight?

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Mon Mar 16 16:38:40 PDT 2009

Ralph Jones wrote:

>Folks sometimes confuse Spotlight with the Finder File>Find menu item.
>
>You invoke File>Find by pressing CMD+F in the Finder, and you invoke
>Spotlight by pressing the key combination that is specified in the
>Spotlight item in System Preferences (if enabled; the default is
>CMD+Spacebar).
>
>Spotlight doesn't allow deleting a file; File>Find does:
>
>+ Invoke Spotlight in the Finder, highlight a file in the list and
>press CMD+Backspace; the System emits the alert sound specified in
>the Sound item in System Preferences and does nothing to the
>highlighted file.
>
>+ Press CMD+F in Finder, highlight a file in the list and press CMD+
>Backspace; the file moves to the Trash as indicated by the file path
>at the bottom of the window (some have described this as Spotlight
>behavior; it is not).

Right you are. In Leopard at least, there is a third option: Use
Spotlight from the menu bar, then choose Show All and you get a
window in the Finder where you CAN delete with Command-Delete. But I
just now found out, as Linda said, that in Tiger it doesn't work in
the window from Show All. I thought it did. I guess I was thinking of
Command-F in Tiger, where it did work.

Anyway in Leopard you can delete found items either from the
Command-F found items list OR from the Show-All list after a
Spotlight search.  Actually, I now see that the Command-F and  the
Show-All windows are quite different from each other in Tiger, but
almost exactly the same in Leopard. So it's not a surprise that the
two windows behave the same in Leopard, but not in Tiger.

Anyway, if Ed wants to search for things and delete them in Tiger, I
suggest he use Command-F rather than the Spotlight item in the menu
bar.

Daly