[X4U] re recent thread on paypal phishing emails

Wayne Clodfelter wayneclodfelter at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 17 18:05:54 PDT 2009

I just received an email purporting to be from paypal, saying my account
had been suspended, or was about to be suspended.

Not the first suspicious email I have gotten for Paypal. I also get them
for banks, amazon.com, and others.

I don't worry about them. I just forward them to the various
spoof/phishing addresses for the spoofed entities so they can deal with
the sender of the fraudulent emails.

Here is the reply I got from Paypal (note the address to send suspicious
emails to):

Hello Wayne Clodfelter,

Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it
was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By
reporting the problem, you've made a difference!

Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other
personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn
more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.

Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to
spoof at paypal.com, you help keep yourself and others safe from identity
theft.

Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your
extra effort.

Thanks,

PayPal

--