[X4U] re recent thread on paypal phishing emails

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 18 05:30:36 PDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 12:09 AM, Linda wrote:

> On 3/17/09 11:42 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
>
>> Victims, perhaps on one level but in the scheme of things I would
>> trust credit cards over paypal any day.
>
> That's your opinion, and that's fine, of course. But others of us have
> different opinions, and the other folks are right when they say
> that if you
> don't forward the phishing messages back to the abuse/spoof
> department of
> *whatever* organization it is, it's impossible to stop phishermen.

Linda:

Here is an example and then you tell me.
I got an phishing email, so I thought I would report it.
I went to the banks web site and I looked and looked and looked and
could not find any contact information.
The only way I could contact them was *IF* I had an account.
Now you tell me who should I contact in those circumstances?
I know some places do have contact info but (a lot of) other do not.
Another example this is closer to home. I decided to report a
phishing incident to PAYPAL and yes I finely found the reporting
email address but it did take me 15 minutes of digging.
If companies *REALLY* want them reported then they should not bury
the report address, no?
Some companies are clueless and should they be rewarded because of
their less than lets say competence in the world of the Internet?

Ed