[X4U] Finder not responding (semi resolved)

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 17:33:07 PDT 2009

On Mar 20, 2009, at 6:05 PM, Jens Selvig wrote:

> ----------------------SNIP-----------------------
>
> I would be shocked if any of the hard drive tools like TechTool or
> Disk Warrior would  find a corrupted plist. The plist it self, as a
> file is not damaged, it is the data inside the file that is damaged.
>
> Jens
>
> Jens Selvig
> ...Lost in Montana...

Jens:

If the reading of the documentation is correct both products say they
will fix plist. I do remember watching the screen when it got to the
plist files and I did see both products read the plist file and (like
I said) did not report any errors. I do not know enough about what is
inside the plist file. I would *GUESS* that it contains the defaults
you want for the finder to show ie icons list format etc for each
folder. Like I said it is a guess. I do vaguely remember hearing
about the PLIST file that it contains "some high level language" that
is run any time you invoke the process that uses the file. When I
looked at it with BBEDIT, indeed it was some sort of defaults but my
memory is sketchy as I was in a hurry to to get the system back up in
a hurry to get some work out. It was not JAVA that I can safely say
but something closer to HTML.

At the ALSOFT web site (www.alsoft.comm/DiskWarrior/details8.html ,I
founds this: Finds corrupted Preference (.plist) files (.)

Ed

Ed