[X4U] SuperDupper question

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 24 17:07:57 PDT 2009

I am in the process of replacing my backup program (DON'T ASK!).
There seem to be two finalists Superdupper and Carbon Copy Cloner.

I have tried CCC and I had so many issues its difficult to explain.
After stumbling around for a few hours looking at various messages I
thought I would ask the support people, well there doesn't seem to be
any just a board where you ask a question and thats it(then there are
boards that you are NOT supposed to ask support question but then
they do not tell you which one to use). I never did get a full test
in because it quit with no explanation it just ended (after about
copying 50MEG). After all the monkeying around I had to do download
this UNIX package do this and do that and in the end it just wasn't
worth it. The documentation was less than clear IMO. I am used to
having messages in one place and an explanation of that message right
below it(in a manual). What really stuck me is there was no
indication if the message was serious or informational. I come from
an environment where message are put there for a reason if it doesn't
need attention mark it as (I)informational and (W) for warning and
(S) severe terminating. The other thing that killed me was it
quitting and no explanation (that I could see). Yea I am a grouch
when it comes to documentation as you can see.

Randy Singer was nice enough to suggest Superdupper and it seemed
just what I wanted *EXCEPT* when I tried to run the function it said
I had to pay for the product. No tryout, no nothing buy it like a pig
in a polk. Now $27 is not a lot of money but its more of the
principle than anything. I consider it crippleware now before you
chime in and defend anything (either package) I am not going to
defend either one as A. Either too complicated to set up or B.
Functionless (AFAIK) for what I need (without paying money).

Can someone suggest a good solid (and has support) backup program? I
had one when I first went to the MAC that was really complicated and
I spent $50-75 (or more its been over 5 years) on it and never really
used it so I am a bit distrustful of backup programs, especially when
they are overly complicated to either run or set up.

Thanks,

Ed