[X4U] SuperDupper question

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Mar 25 21:48:28 PDT 2009

On Mar 25, 2009, at 3:34 PM, Neil Laubenthal wrote:

> ...but it's actually a cloning program and not a backup program.

A cloning program is one kind of backup program.  An archival backup
program, like Time Machine, is another.

Each has its purpose and adherents.  Lots of folks use both.  (Many
of the attorneys in my MacAttorney user group, for instance, use both.)

For a thorough discussion of backing up using OS X, and many of the
programs for doing so compared, check out:
Take Control of Mac OS X Backups
$15 e-book
186 pages
1.8 MB download
Free downloadable sample available
http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/backup-macosx

> For most folks . . .backup means multiple copies of files as they
> change over time . . . SD does not provide that functionality.

Why do you assume that "most folks" prefer an archival type of
backup?  SuperDuper! is wildly popular among Mac users.  I wouldn't
be surprised to find that more users use SuperDuper! than Time
Machine, even though Time Machine comes with OS X.  It would be
interesting to take a poll.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html