[X4U] SuperDupper question

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Thu Mar 26 05:00:07 PDT 2009

Quoting David Brostoff <listaddr at earthlink.net>:

> Of course SuperDuper is a backup program.

Nope . . .it's a cloning program. That isn't to say that a bootable
clone of your drive isn't a worthwhile addition to your comprehensive
backup strategy . . . it is.

> Software that creates and retains duplicates of each new version of a
> file, such as Retrospect, are also backup programs. (The makers of
> Retrospect would like people to believe that programs that create
> clones are not "true" backup programs, but this is only marketing
> speak.)

Nope again . . .I think a survey of professional system administrators
will tell you that clones aren't backup . . . they're clones. However,
non professionals sometimes get lost by the distinction . . .and
given the complete lack of backup that most home users have a simple
clone is a huge improvement for them . . .but it's not as good as a
comprehensive backup stragegy . . .which includes clones, versioned
backups of important fines, and off site copies all of which happen
should happen automatically so as to eliminate human foibles. This
comprehensive backup strategy also includes test restorations and
exercise of the various backups/clones/off site stuff to make sure
that it works.

> The disadvantage is that the
> files are not in Finder format and need a software program to restore
> them.

That's why Apple invented Time Machine.