[X4U] Finder question

Bernard Munter bmunter at netspace.net.au
Thu Mar 26 14:49:05 PDT 2009

On 27/03/09 055112, "Ed Gould" <edgould1948 at comcast.net> wrote:

> When I am in a folder and want to find a specific file, at the top of the
> folder is a window with a magnifying glass next to it.

Yes

> Why is it when I type say "cat" the finder doesn't just look in the folder I
> am looking for and it assumes I want the entire system searched (when I do
> not). I find this incredibly a waste of time (to me) and really tries my
> patience as if I wanted to find it in the entire system I would either use
> spotlight or some other means? Or is there a way to restrict it to only
> looking in the current folder?

For once, I agree with you. This is irritating. When it starts searching, at
least under OS X 10.5, two options appear above the window contents:

Search: (This Mac) "your folder name" | (Contents) File Name

"This Mac" and "Contents" are selected by default, but you can easily click
on the other options, ie the folder name you are in and "File Name".

> The other part of this is that it starts searching before I am ready as I may
> have mistyped(as I often do) the file I am looking for. This wastes my time
> waiting for a response and frustrates me to no end.

Under OS X 10.5, at least, you do not have to wait. The moment it starts
searching, just click the "folder name" and the "File Name" option, correct
any mistyping of the name you were searching for and it _immediately_
restarts the search with the correct criteria. No waiting. The only extra
time it takes is for two clicks of the mouse and a possible correction of
the name you mistyped.

It is annoying that it doesn't "remember" the search criteria you last used,
but need not be frustrating. Just click on the options you want and it will
respond immediately.