[X4U] Unable to send mail

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Tue Mar 31 07:27:31 PDT 2009

On 3/30/09 6:13 PM, Richard H Stoddard wrote:

> "SMTP Protocol Error: 554 5.7.1 Service Unavailable for sergio52 at mac.com -
> Please disinfect your computer. [slot 2]"
>
> I have no idea who this sergio52 at mac.com is. Using Mail.app, I just get the
> message that it was unable to connect to the smtp server.
>
> I did a virus scan over the weekend, so would be surprised if in fact my
> system is infected.  Has anyone seen such an error message or have any idea
> what's happening?

I've seen Sergio before, several years ago, in relation to my .Mac account.

Google for that phrase (sergio52 at mac.com) and look in the Apple Support
forums. I don't remember the answer -- it was at least two years ago, if not
longer -- but I know I found the explanation/answer either on Google or in
the Support Forums.

I was using Entourage, so it's not limited to a message only from Mail -- is
the account you're trying to use to send a .Mac account?

~Linda