[X4U] An extremely frustrating print problem

Crandon David tabdave at ca.rr.com
Tue Mar 31 08:24:48 PDT 2009

David,

It wouldn't be hard for the webmaster to create a link to a "printer
friendly" version.

I'm not sure how much you know about iframes. Unlike regular frames
which are a web page divided into sections, and can be resized as the
page changes, an iframe is more like a fixed size window. The iframe
doesn't know what's being displayed inside it so it cannot resize
itself. The webmaster decides how big a window he wants and if the
content overflows that window a scroll bar will appear for
navigation. I ran into a similar problem on a sight I designed for a
client. I needed to use iframes but my client didn't want scroll
bars. I had to figure out what the tallest content was and make the
iframe that size. The problem is that when the content is much
shorter you still have a very long web page because of the iframe.

With that being said, since the content of the iframe on CR.org is
being dynamically generated,  the webmaster would need to create a
link somewhere on the page that would open a new window without an
iframe to display the entire results list. The new page could use the
same source info that was generated by your initial search. This
means it would be a fairly simple matter for the webmaster to add the
new link to the main "outside" page that would propagate throughout
the entire site.

Mark Des Cotes
Owner-Graphic Designer
Marksman Design