[X4U] OSX and sharewhere programs

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Fri May 15 09:48:16 PDT 2009

On May 10, 2009, at 9:01 PM, Ronald Steinke wrote:

> On May 7, 2009, at 9:23 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
>
>> This to me is a bit of a folly as I though sharewhere was licensed
>> to a cpu. While I cannot follow there legal rules I think common
>> sense is that if it prompts each user  for a serial number it
>> seems (to me anyway) that you do not want to give the user this
>> type of information.
>
> Your message leaves a bit to confusion, Ed.
>
> No, it is not folly to license a program to an individual. It is a
> common practice in the shareware world.
>
> The next sentence leaves me wondering exactly what your intended
> meaning is. Do you mean "their" legal rules or the legal rules
> "there"? The words have different meanings and cause some confusion
> when used out of proper definition.
>
> Then you say that it seems to you that "you do not want to give the
> user this type of information". Are you referring to the program
> distributor here or to the purchaser/user of the program? And, what
> type of information are you meaning?
>
> Clarity of statement leaves less confusion to those of us who read
> your postings.

Sorry I was a little bit less than clear.

Specifically I created a new user in trying to research a system
crashing happening (long story not to be mentioned here). I attempted
(while in the "new" ID, using the shareware program and got a message
that indicated that I had not purchased it - but I did ).

I am *GUESSING* that the program saved the information into a "common
file" (preference?)and when the "new" user invoked the program it
could not see the registration information.

My question is if that is the case then how do companies (or
individuals) handle the case where they have multiple users on the
same system. Do they handout registration information to each user
or ? so that each user can access a "common" set of programs i.e. so
they have to key in the registration number themselves.

It is (IMO) immaterial as to which product we are talking about. The
question is I wonder (since Apple) created this ability for multiple
users on one system how shareware companies handle this. Or are they
being correct and you have to pay them for each additional user? MY
personal belief is clouded by past environments so what may be
acceptable in one may not be in others.

I think I have covered all your bases if not please tell me where I
am not clear.

Ed