[X4U] How to put multiple addressees in the "to" field in Mail

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at me.com
Mon May 18 20:37:50 PDT 2009

I have a strange situation.

I have, for years, kept a folder of email addresses that I use to send
friends/family links to my kids' movies and photos.  The folder has
about 230 ".mailloc" links, the kind that you get when you drag
someone's email address to the desktop.  In the past, I have always
used the AOL client to email these, but that has gotten very long in
the tooth.  I'd like to use Apple Mail to email them, but I've run
into a problem.

If I drag multiple email addresses to the "To:" field in a Mail
document, only the first one is entered.  But even weirder, the
address is listed as a mailto: link.  So for example, if I'm emailing "foo at aol.com
", and I drag that .mailloc link to the "To:" field, it actually is
entered as "mailto:foo at aol.com", which, of course, is not reconized as
a valid email address.

Is there a way that I can still use my folder of individual email
addresses in that way?

I do notice that if I double-click the files, that individual emails
are created with the correct address; however, selecting and then
opening multiple of these .mailloc files opens up multiple emails.  I
would then have to manualy drag over each email address to the single
email that I want to send out to everybody.

Any help would be appreciated.