[X4U] External HD: 750 gig to 699 when formatted. Why???

Germain M. germain_m at videotron.ca
Sun May 24 10:32:46 PDT 2009

Hello,
I bought a SimpleTech 750gig external HD. It was Windows formatted in
the first place. Once mounted, info window showed the drive had 699
gig free. As suggested in the instruction manual (and as should be
done) anyway), I reformated the drive Mac OS Extended journaled.
Still 699 gig free. Is there a way te recover this huge amount of
lost gig? What are they used for and by what (whom)? Are there some
hidden Windows programs and files left on the HD. If so, how to et
rid of them to recover that space?

First, I wanted to format the drivve with the "zero" option in Disk
Utility but it told me ot would take 7 hours and I didn't want to
wait. This is the very first external HD I buy.

Thanks a lot. Germain

iMac Intel 2.0 ghz
1 gig Ram, 160 GB HD
10.4.11 français