[X4U] Bulk Renaming iTunes audio book files

Mark Des Cotes lists at marksmandesign.ca
Mon Nov 23 06:28:58 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

My local library had a "garage sale" this weekend and I picked up a
bunch of old audio books on CDs. I want to import them into iTunes
and put them on my iPod Shuffle. The audio book I decided to try
first is made up of 7 CDs. Each CD has track 1 through whatever on
it. My problem is that when I import them all I get 7 x track 1s, 7 x
track 2s etc. I can select them as each CD is imported and bulk
change them to Disk x of 7. But when I load them onto my iPod Shuffle
the disk numbers are ignored and they end up listed by track name
which puts them out of order. In this case I opened each file
individually (all 117 of them) and added "CD1, CD2, CD3 etc." to the
beginning of each file name. This worked for what I needed but was
tedious. Is there an easier way to do this? Is there a way to select
multiple files and add a prefix to their file names? It took over 40
minutes to get this one book onto my iPod and I have over a dozen
more to do. Perhaps I'm overlooking something in iTunes 9.0.2? I'm
still on 10.4.11 on an iMac G5 if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Mark