[X4U] itunes on external drive and time machine

riteme ritemehere at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 06:49:43 PST 2009

hi. hope every one had a nice holiday.

I have a question about using time machine to back an external drive containing my music collection.  At the moment, that external drive, let's cal it drive #1  (500 GB)  is backed up to a second 500 GB drive. I use chronosync. I also back up drive #1 to a third drive, a buffalo linkstation 320GB that seems ok but is 6 years old or so.

my time machine back up is to a WD passport partitioned and i use superduper! on partition 2.

So my media drives are almost full.   I am buying tow 1TB WD caviar green drives (maybe 1.5 but I don't think so). My plan was to move my media to the new drives and continue on as I've been doing - one primary drive the other to backup.

But, I realized there's another way to do this. My music drive is attached to an airport extreme. So I could include that in my time machine backups. In other words, move my music to a new drive as before - but then instead of using chronosync to copy only the media on the drive, i could include it in a time machine backup - backing it and the contents of my computer to the second new 1 TB drive (maybe this one would have to be 15 TB) ....

If was to keep the media separate I had planned to make the two former media 500 GB drives into time machine drives, one to backup the other rather than the WD passports i am using now. then either use those as superduper! drives, or maybe archive drives i swap out to keep one offsite.

I hope this is all clear. In sum, should i include an external media drive in my time machine backup, or keep it as a separate backup using chronosyc to it's own drive.

Thanks, eric