[X4U] Aggravatingly slow beach ball

Mark Des Cotes lists at marksmandesign.ca
Fri Oct 30 08:30:27 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm at wits end here. My 2.1 GHZ iMac G5 iSight running 10.4.11 with
RAM maxed at 2.5GB has become so slow to respond that it's
aggravating. The spinning beach ball is constantly appearing,
sometimes for a split second and sometimes for 10 sec or longer.
Simple tasks such as closing a Safari browser window will produce the
beach ball for 5 seconds or longer before the window finally closes.
Or creating a new mail message in Mail. When I click new message the
beach ball appears and it takes a couple of second before the blank
message window appears. This is all stuff that used to be
instantaneous. Yesterday I was copying text from MSWord into Quark
Xpress. I'd highlight a paragraph and copy. The beach ball appeared
for what felt like forever but was no less than 10 seconds, before
the copy completed and I could finally switch to Quark and paste.
During the beach ball phase in any application, if I right click on
the app's icon in the dock it says "Application not responding" but
if I wait it out it works.

My hard drive is only 60% full, I've run DiskUtility, DiskWarrior,
cleaned everything out with Onyx, I've even performed an archive and
install of the OS but nothing has fixed the problem.

I'm a graphic designer and I use this computer every day for work.
It's become very aggravating having to wait for the computer all the
time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark Des Cotes