[X4U] Aggravatingly slow beach ball

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Fri Oct 30 09:21:23 PDT 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 12:08 PM, LA Licata wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Have you shutdown for a period of minutes and pulled all power from
> the unit?
>
> And, have you started up in safe mode?
>
> And, have you reset PRAM and NVRAM?
>
> Sometimes these works for me.
>
> Lee
>

> On Oct 30, 2009, at 1730, Mark Des Cotes wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm at wits end here. My 2.1 GHZ iMac G5 iSight running 10.4.11 with
> RAM maxed at 2.5GB has become so slow to respond that it's
> aggravating. The ......

Mark: good tips from Lee. I'd add a few of my own.

Since it's a G5 iMac, pulling the power plug and leave it unplugged
for 10 minutes resets the PMU.

Have you tried booting the computer off another drive? If it still has
problems, it's more likely a hardware problem -- perhaps Ram. In that
case, I'd remove and reseat the Ram sticks one at a time and see if
things get better. I have an iMac G5 and had problems that turned out
to be a faulty Ram board (Apple replaced it under warranty).

If the external boot drive runs without problems, then you know that
it's the software on your main drive. Then I'd do an Archive and
install and see if that works.

One other problem might be software that you run all the time. Word
has been giving me problems -- it becomes unresponsive at times and
consumes a lot of CPU resources, slowing down everything.

Good luck.

Jeff
J-K Carruthers Limited          Tel: 613-278-0390
678 2nd Concession N. Sherbrooke, RR1   Fax: 613-278-2929
McDonalds Corners, ON K0G 1M0      cell: 613-720-2350
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com
Publishing Orders in Council for more than 25 years

Carruthers Communications                  Tel: 613-278-0390
678 2nd Concession N Sherbrooke     Cell: 613-720-2350
R.R. 1, McDonalds Corners, ON  K0G 1M0   Fax: 613-278-2929
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com

"There's no such thing as a dumb question." (Anon)