[X4U] Leopard Client Permissions Problems on Server?

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Fri Sep 11 14:22:19 PDT 2009

We are a small publishing co that opens and saves our production files
(Multi-Ad Creator for ad design, as well as Photoshop files (CS3.3,
CS4, and Acrobat Pro (8.x and 9.x) to a MacOS X Server. Since
upgrading our clients to Leopard, we've started having some of our
files occasionally developing corrupt/wrong permissions. Instead of
the User and Group owners that our setup to access those share points,
becomes user of "unknown" and group of "unknown". The result is that
the file behaves as if it is busy, we can either save, but are asked
to replace the file, even though it is a simple save, or we can't even
save at all, we have to duplicate or save as and give the file a
different name.

We are running a MacOS X Server 10.4.11 running on a G5 tower and also
MacOS X Server 10.5.8 running on another G5 tower.  Both the Tiger
Server and the Leopard Server are having these saving problems with
the unknown permissions.

The common denominator is Leopard Client, as the 2 Macs still running
Tiger Client are not having these save problems.

Anyone know of a fix for this problem, or have experienced it
themselves?

Joe