[X4U] Leopard Client Permissions Problems on Server?

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Sat Sep 12 20:53:40 PDT 2009

On Sep 12, 2009, at 12:53 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2009, at 2:22 PM, Joe Sporleder wrote:
>
>> Anyone know of a fix for this problem...?
>
> Use this program to fix the permissions of files.  You can fix an
> entire folder full of files at one time, if you like.
>
> BatCHmod (free)
> http://www.macchampion.com/arbysoft/Welcome.html
>
> Have a look at this electronic book:
>
> Take Control of Permissions in Leopard
> 86 page PDF book
> 1.7 MB download
> Free sample available for download
> http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-permissions

> Randy B. Singer
> Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
>
> Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

My permission problems are on the Server. I use the Propagate
Permissions item in System Admin to fix corrupt permissions with my
share points. How is BatCHmod different from Propagate Permissions on
the Server? 99% of the time, the file permissions on my share points
are just fine. These are files that are opened on the local client
over the network from the share point, and then saved to that same
share point. How do I keep the 5 to 10 file permissions (out of
several hundred files saved) on a busy day from becoming corrupt on
the server in the first place? I think there is a bug with Leopard
Client while saving to remote volumes, particularly my servers. I have
a Tiger Server that this problem occurs on since I've upgraded 4
workstations to Leopard. I also setup a real simple Leopard server as
a test, and it also exhibits the same problem. The clients still on
Tiger are not having saving problems (due to the corrupt permissions).

The eBook, I'll have to consider it, but not sure how BatChmod is
going to help me on the Servers.

Your suggestions here appear to temporarily relieve the symptoms of
corrupt permissions, however, I'm looking for a cure. :-D

Joe