[X4U] Flash cookies

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Sep 18 15:50:31 PDT 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 7:07 AM, zapcat wrote:

> is there some other way of blocking out this stuff?

We had a long discussion about this on another list.

I recommended that folks try Flush, and many folks were shocked that
they had over 100 Flash cookies!

See:
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/security/topic4412.html
(start reading around August 12, 2009)

Flush (free)
http://machacks.tv/2009/01/27/flushapp-flash-cookie-removal-tool-for-
os-x/
This little application deletes all Flash cookies.
Unfortunately, a significant number of users found that Flush, for
one reason or another, simply refused to run on their computer.
Also, while Flush instantly clears all Flash cookies, they accumulate
very quickly, and it gets tedious to have to keep on running Flush.

You can, instead, easily trash the contents of these two folders
manually, and then lock these two folders (via Get Info) to keep
Flash cookies from returning:

/User’s Home Folder/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/
#SharedObjects

/User’s Home Folder/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/
macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys

I've locked these two folders and there have been no ill effects.
Everything runs perfectly, including Flash animations, except for the
Pandora Web site.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html