[X4U] Leopard Install from retail version (Solved by reinstall OS)

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Fri Apr 9 04:25:59 PDT 2010

Glad it worked…but I’m a  it confused as to why it didn't work the first time.

IIRC you started with 10.4.8 and did an upgrade install using the retail version of 10.5 . . .and then Software Update didn't work. By original DVD…does that mean you reinstalled 10.4 then upgraded to 10.5 with the retail DVD or did you just do a new install of 10.5 using the retail DVD? IF the latter; then it sounds like something was amiss with the original 10.4 install.

I gave up on upgrade installs a long time ago…not because they don't work (they usually do) but because since the installer doesn't really know what you have installed you can easily end up with old cruft mixed in with the new stuff. My standard new version install consists of (1) disk maintenance with Disk Utility followed by whatever other commercial utilities you have (DiskWarrior, Drive Genius, TechTool, whatever); (2) clone the drive with SuperDuper just in case, and (3) Archive and install with preserve network settings checked. Before I do any of that I make a list of all installed extras in System Preferences, login items, and other always running utilities so I know what to reinstall if they break or what to selectively disable if strange things happen until they're updated.

On Apr 8, 2010, at 9:46 PM, John Erdman wrote:

> Neil -   Thanks for your help. In frustration I finally archived and reinstalled from the original DVD. That seemed to do the trick. First time I tried the update from the downloaded stand-alone version everything went smoothly.  Other than the problem with the update installer I had no idea there was a problem. So after killing the best part of two days her computer is now ready to connect to MobileME.

There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil