[X4U] iPad forbidden

LaL lalicata at alum.rpi.edu
Wed Apr 14 10:19:26 PDT 2010

For a long time, Turkey had to approve all "modems" that interacted
with their telephone system.
Back in the 90s that process was so long that one could die and be
resurrected twice before approval came thru.
(I know because I went thru that process in 93)
They still have a process to approve all modems (and wireless devices
and wired devices etc etc) but it appears to be streamlined and quite
quick.
If israel confiscates ipads, whoa to travelers who just want to come
in for a week or two.
But this should get resolved after Apple starts selling internationally.
BTW, i did see 3 iPads here in Izmir this past week. All owned by
locals.
BTW, if you dig really deep, the land line telephone companies still
reserve the right to not connect a device to their network that they
did not approve, especially if they believe that it will damage their
network.
Lee