[X4U] One month delay

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Apr 15 23:54:33 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 05:14:48PM CDT, Zane H. Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, zapcat wrote:
>
> >what absolutely baffles me is how a product like the iPad can be
> >such a huge hit in an economy with a sucking chest wound.
> >
> >no matter HOW cool it is.
>
> I'm inclined to agree.
>
> What irritates me is the article I was reading the other day about the more
> MacBook Pro users who had gone nearly a year without a refresh (it was just
> over 300 days), yet us Mac Pro users have gone over 400 days without a
> refresh.  I'm ready to buy a brand new Mac Pro to replace my 6.5 year old
> Rev.0 dual 2Ghz G5, but I'm not going to buy a computer that was released
> over a year ago.

Mac Pros use the latest Bloomfield and Gainestown procs.  In order to
have a refresh, there needs to be a reasonable upgrade in procs too.
Since Gulftown (6-core 3-channel) & Beckton (8-core 4-channel woot!)
procs just came out this year, I'll bet that Apple is testing them for
the Mac Pro refresh.  I expect something new around the next WWDC.

> If Apple had been smart they'd have *TEAMED UP* with Adobe for the CS5
> launch and announced a new Mac Pro at the same time.  Instead they've fired
> a shot directly across Adobe's bow with the bit that prohibits using their
> new Flash compilier for the iPhone.

Flash has been the Number One culprit to crash every web browser I've
used through the years.  In contrast with the Intel version, Macromedia
did little to optimize the plugin or fix crashing bugs on the Mac side.
Adobe continues this lazy, do-nothing trend.  They've turned into yet
another Microsoft: an industry standard that is has stopped innovating.
Sorry, why should Apple let its web browsing experience be crippled by a
software component that they have ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL OVER?

> I'm honestly starting to wonder how much Apple cares about those of us that
> are "power users".  None of their other models meet my requirements.

They meet my needs.  But not my budget.  :)

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/