[X4U] Display Port Without the Apple Tax?

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Mon Aug 2 12:46:40 PDT 2010

I've been reading the tech specs at http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html on the new Mac Pros coming out soon. One of the selling points on the video card is that it can drive 3 screens.

A footnote says that "There is a maximum of two DVI-based displays per graphics card." So, one would have to hook up at least one monitor via some other connection - i.e., displayport.

I've only come across one LCD outside of Apple that uses the mini displayport connector, CinemaView, which looks a lot like Apple's, but uses a cheaper screen technology (TN) versus Apple's LED technology. Searching on the web, I have found screens by HP, Dell and NEC that use the full sized displayport connector (I'm sure an mini display port to displayport adaptor would take care of this).

Is the new $999 27" LED from Apple worth the price (or the 24" at a clearance price of $799)? Anyone on this list use a displayport capable LCD screen besides Apple's offerings? I have a project where the new MacPro would be perfect to run with 3 screens - two screens for layout and the 3rd screen for a Filemaker ad tracking database.

Joe