[X4U] 2 vs 4 cores, iMac?

Joe Tinney jtinney at lastar.com
Wed Aug 4 13:25:29 PDT 2010

This doesn't really help you with your core question but I think the bigger difference is in the technology shift that has happened with processors recently.

>From the machines you've listed I would like to highlight that the last machine, in addition to the extra cores and thread support, is an entirely different processor platform. Not saying it is a different processor architecture, it is still a native 64-bit chip like the Core 2 Duo's, but it differs significantly from them otherwise under the hood. All of this is largely transparent to the Operating System and applications except for the SSE4.2 extensions which will be of benefit when developers code that in to their applications.

While it is technical, this offers a good comparison of the processors (as that is the primary differentiator of the systems below): http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=41495,35605,42915.

Both systems have the same 4GB of DDR3 memory, the i5 features a new technology that allows faster access to memory by the processor than previous generation technologies (that's why you lose the Front-Side Bus [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-side_bus ] speed and get the Direct Media Interface [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Media_Interface ] throughput on the i5 processor).

At any rate, I would highly recommend that if you are seriously considering any of these that you go with the i5 option. Regardless of additional core utilization (which Snow Leopard and some applications by Apple have been redesigned to take much advantage of) you'll have much greater performance due to the technology changes in that processor platform in general and specifically concerning computational operations performed on data in memory and being passed around inside the system (other than from hard disk).

Good luck,
Joe Tinney