[X4U] beaucoup problems with Office 08 on G4 running 10.4.11

stephen e. schwartz ses at bnl.gov
Thu Aug 26 18:27:30 PDT 2010

I am a somewhat happier camper now. Our IT guy did all the patches on
Office 08, and that stopped the crashes.

I then followed Randy's suggestion and did a lot of house cleaning on
fonts. I recomend http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html for a
very detailed and clear discussion of font issues on OSX. I guess I
will learn what colateral damage I have done as I use various apps
down the road.

Word 08 now behaves more or less as expected. I had been motivated to
get it because it is the first OSX word app that handles quartz pdf
from the clipboard. It does that very well. when I use the built in
print to pdf it renders very high quality graphics, equivalent to
what I had come to expect with eps on word 5 (a 1992 piece of
software, I might note, but not quartz pdf savvy).

As widely discussed, Word-08 does not do macros. I record and use a
lot of macros in word. So I guess I will keep my more or less trusty
Word-X up and going for that purpose.  Can't have everything.

Thanks, Randy, for suggestions

-steve