[X4U] Randy's organizational tools?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Aug 27 01:15:23 PDT 2010

On Aug 26, 2010, at 1:11 PM, Richard Hartman wrote:

> Randy,
>
> I am always mightily impressed with your splendidly organized and
> link-reinforced responses to problems on this list, like the
> response above.
>
> Would you mind sharing what tool(s) you use to store and organize
> all this information? Inquiring minds, and all that...

[blush]  Thank you for the kind words!

Many years ago I used to host a large e-mail discussion list for
Macintosh-using attorneys.  You can't just answer an attorney's
question by saying "do this."  No, they want a citation.  Sometimes
they insist on several.

So, in addition to keeping track of Macintosh how-to's and tips, I
got into the habit of keeping track of citations to back up Macintosh
information that I learn.

Some of my citations come from knowing where to look.  For instance,
It's hard to find Apple tech notes that apply to various situations
unless you know where to look for them...which is here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search

I have a bunch of other similar sites bookmarked and carefully
arranged in my browser.  I know instantly where to look for free
software, for refurbished hardware, for esoteric business software,
for info about old Macs, etc. etc.

I have a huge amount of information stored in a scrapbook-type
application (which is basically just a structured database) that is
truly wonderful:

ScrapIt Pro ($25)
http://www.johnvholder.com/sipxdesc.html

I've written a large number of articles about the Macintosh, and a
few books, and over 50 issues of my MacAttorney Newsletter, over the
span of about 24 years.  I've been warehousing the information that I
gathered for those projects in my database all of this time.  So, I
have the answers to a large number of questions about the Macintosh
ready to go.

At one time I thought that I might one day write another book about
the Macintosh, and just pour my database into it.  But the publishing
industry is incredibly slimy, I've seen my name in print enough times
to last me the rest of my life, and I already have a job that pays
better than writing a book.  So that isn't likely to happen.  I'm
just happy to answer questions on the dozen or so Macintosh e-mail
discussion lists that I am on.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html