[X4U] Software to compare directories?

zapcat zapcat at speakeasy.net
Mon Aug 30 13:30:43 PDT 2010

On Aug 30, 2010, at 12:44 PM, John Baltutis wrote:

> On 8/29/10,  "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is there any freeware out there that can be used to compare the
>> contents of a couple directories?  I'm trying to merge some hard
>> drives, and I know I have duplication.
>
> Drag & drop from the old to the new and the new will have
> everything from both.
> Simpler than trying to do it manually or determine the differences.

you may wish to give CCC a look, specifically "incremental backup."

If I'm reading you correctly, this will do what you need it to do.
Drag and Drop from one to the other, but I just spent the weekend
weeding out an embarassing amount of needless duplicates, many of
them resulting from the drag and drop technique, telling myself I'll
wrangle with it later...and now is later!

we're talking scores of gigabytes of unnecessary stuff, much of it on
the same disc.