[X4U] migrating from older G5 to new iMac

Michael W. Sumbera sumbera at mac.com
Tue Feb 2 15:38:25 PST 2010

A friend moving form an MDD to a 24" iMac even had trouble using the migration assistant in target disk mode.  We ended up having to use SuperDuper to dupe is old drive onto a FW external, then running migration assistant with that as the FW device worked fine.

I've never seen Migration Assistant work across a network, so if that is what you are trying to do, I add my voice to the chorus suggesting to use target disk mode instead.

> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Cindy MOORE wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to migrate my setting from my 5.5 year old mid-price G5
>> (tiger) to my new iMac. The G5 sees the iMac and starts the migration
>> progress (using ethernet) both computers are saying they are processing but
>> connection is always lost before process is completed.
>> I went online and was told I needed to update the firmware for the G5. Tried
>> this, but the firmware available is not for my G5.
>> Any suggestions on getting all this stuff over to the new computer?
>> Thank you, Cindy

Drivers in the mirror are stupider than they appear.