[X4U] Airport Express, old router & Xbox?

Mark Des Cotes lists at marksmandesign.ca
Mon Feb 8 13:13:06 PST 2010

Hi all,

Not sure where to ask this question but I thought this was a good
place to start.

My son has been asking me to get him the wireless transmitter for his
Xbox 360 so that he can access Xbox Live. His Xbox is in the basement
where there's no wired internet available.

I recently replaced my old 802.11b wireless router with an Airport
Express. Can I hook the old router up to the Xbox and have it
communicate wirelessly with the Airport Express which is in turn
connected to my cable modem? I remember people on this list saying
how they had multiple Airport Expresses to extend their range. This
got me thinking that perhaps I can plug the old router into the Xbox
and save myself the $100 or so for the wireless transmitter.

Can this be done? Is there anything I need to do to the old router
first for this to work?

Thanks,

Mark