[X4U] Firewire Drive Recommendations?

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Tue Feb 9 03:33:51 PST 2010

Not to sound negative . . .because personally I find the idea behind
the Drobo quite interesting . . .but I've seen a considerable number
of reports of issues with them.

It's only anecdotal evidence . . .but I would guess it's running about
3 really satisfied customers to 1 unsatisfied customer based on
reading this list, the Tidbits list and a couple of other Mac oriented
lists. The issue varies . . .but failure of a drive taking down the
whole RAID and killing all of the data seems to be a common but not
universal symptom.

Of course . . .there are a lot of other issues that can cause total
failure of a RAID as well . . .and the same issues may affect other
RAID brands . . .but I've seen it enough that I might not want to
trust my backups to it at this point.

Between that and the additional price (500 for the empty unit) . .
.perhaps a couple of stand alone 2 TB drives would be another thing to
consider. These can either be RAIDed within Snow Leopard . . .or there
are numerous free/low cost applications that will script a drive
duplication so as to make an incremental backup of the backup drive
once a day or something like that.

I agree with the Time Capsule . . . seems like a lot of issues with
them and reliability isn't what it should be at this point.

The real key to backups is . . .of course . . .multiple ones. I don't
bother with multiple backups of Time Machine . . .but my laptop drives
get cloned periodically in addition to a separate drive and the really
important stuff on my laptop gets script duped to a folder on my file
server daily. My file server has Time Machine, scripted daily and
weekly backups with versioning to both the internal and an external
drive, and scripted weekly/daily backups with versioning on another
machine (actually an old mini that is the Time Machine destination for
the laptops as well as backing up the file server). In addition, there
are Mozy (free version so only the really important stuff) and
JungleDisk/Amazon S3 offsite backups of the file server share.

--
neil