[X4U] 10.5 instead of 10.6

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Feb 10 16:41:45 PST 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> At 2:54 PM -0800, 2/10/10, zapcat wrote:
>
>> No need to get worked up, John. I am not saying that SL is a steaming pile,
>> simply that it is for some, not production-ready.
>
> Using your logic, no OS will ever be production ready. I will guarantee you
> that no future OS will ever have AppleTalk, thus, no future Apple OS will
> ever be 'production-ready'. And every release of every OS that has ever
> existed has caused older apps to no longer work when the developers of those
> apps have chosen to not update their apps. Thus again, every OS that is ever
> to be released in the future will not be 'production ready' by your
> definition.

How is the Kool Aid?  You've obviously had a good sized drink of it.

I'm just glad that when I removed my dependance on classic Appletalk
fileshares I also removed my dependence on Appletalk for printing.  I was
using both on OpenVMS, and when it quit supporting Appletalk fileshares, it
also lost the ability to print to Appletalk printers.  So while I might need
to reconfigure printing on the Mac side, I already have the hardware in
place.  The OP is not so lucky, he has a device purchased 6 months ago,
brand new, that he's trying to use, and 10.6 removed support for it.

I'm mostly 10.6 ready, no thanks to Apple, as they've made sure the move is
as difficult as possible.  Every release starting with 10.4 has removed
significant features from Mac OS X.  How long before they decided to remove
some you depend on?  Or do you simply use only the bundled apps?

Zane