[X4U] Mail asks for password

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Jan 25 21:45:06 PST 2010

On Jan 25, 2010, at 4:33 PM, zapcat wrote:

> I noticed that I have IPv6 set to "Automatic."
>
> Within the last year, I was advised to set it so, and while I don't
> recall exactly what the issue was, I have the sense that it was
> related to security..

IPv6 *might* provide some increased security *if* you use a name
server that is compatible.  At this time, the latter is highly
unlikely, and the increased security that you are concerned about
might already have been retrofitted into IPv4 for the name server
that you use.  The primary reason that IPv6 was developed was to
provide for more IP addresses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipv6

> Whether or not it does, do you know of any downsides to turning
> IPv6 off?

The reason that turning IPv6 off may improve performance is that some
DNS servers do not properly respond to IPv6 requests.  As a result,
your computer has to time out waiting for a response and then try a
secondary DNS server.

In recent versions of OS X, IPv6 typically is on (set to "automatic")
by default, but not used.  You have nothing to lose by turning IPv6
to "off" and then seeing if performance improves.  When I first
turned it off, I tested it out by going to a Web site that I visit
often that is typically slower to load than any other Web site that I
have visited, Sports Illustrated:
http://www.si.com
It came up instantaneously, as it it had been cached!  I had never
seen it do that previously.

Changing your IPv6 setting isn't immutable.  If you don't realize a
performance improvement, just change it back to "automatic."  I can't
think of any downside to trying this out.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html