[X4U] iPad is from Fujitsu

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Jan 28 22:32:28 PST 2010

On Jan 28, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> Fujitsu is selling (from 2003) a multifunctional device to verify
> prices in a store and give in real time info about the products in
> stock.
> The name 'iPad' was released in 2009 because Fujitsu didn't react
> on questions from the US patent bureau and trademarks.
> But two months later they restarted the procedure to claim the
> name.  After that also Apple claimed the name.
> Maybe like 'iPhone' where they settled outside court with Cisco
> Systems.

If you go to the United States Patent and Trademark Office Web site:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/

and do a search for  "iPad," you'll find that a number of company's
lay claim to that mark.

It has been a long time since I have done an Intellectual Property
case, but I can tell you that there is a lot more to it than just
that one party registered a mark first.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html