[X4U] iPad news... Flash

Neil lists at mac.com
Fri Jan 29 15:31:37 PST 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Shawn King wrote:

> On 1/29/10 5:34 PM, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the most important of these is the lack of flash support.
>> Does anyone know why this is?
>
> The official reason is that Apple feels that Flash is poorly coded
> and isn't
> optimized for the Mac OS.
>
> Unofficially? Steve Jobs hates Flash.

I hate Flash too... because it is a poorly coded, proprietary standard
that hogs resources usually for the purpose of pushing obnoxious ads
and annoying music for web sites.  I have software on my Mac called
ClickToFlash that disables Flash content.   Flash slows my PowerMac
G5/2x2 to a crawl.  Everything runs much smoother since I dropped
Flash.  Silverlight from MicroSoft works much better for me, but I
hope that HTML 5 and H.264 catch on as standards.

I never even noticed the lack of Flash on my iPhone.  Apple provides a
YouTube app that plays video on my phone far better than Flash on my
PowerMac.