[X4U] NTFS volume repair/checker

Conlon Brett brettnlis at bigpond.com
Thu Jul 1 08:08:44 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2GB WD My Book USB Raid drive to store my video files on from the set top box and video camera. I formatted it as a 1TB NTFS mirrored RAID so that it could be mounted on the set top box for file transfers & streaming video off the drive, etc. I used iNTFS to enable Snow Leopard's ability to read/write to NTFS volumes and have happily been working with it on my Mac for a few weeks now.

A couple of days ago, I began using MPEG Streamclip to convert a buncha video files down to iPhone size for viewing on the train, however, yesterday I noticed that the main folder of videos, it was doing the batch processing from, had become empty - all the video files in it just disappeared.... poof!

I tried turning on invisibles and couldn't find the files anywhere on the volume. When I selected all files/folders and got Info it said the files selected totalled 129GB but when I get Info on the whole volume it shows over 300GB in use so it seems like my files are there somewhere but they can't be seen.

I tried mounting the USB drive on my MBPro running bootcamp (WinXP) but same thing there too - empty folder... even with showing hidden files. And again, in WinXP it says the volume is using over 300GB.

So, now I'm hoping to find a utility (free if at all possible) to check the directory of this volume to see if it has become corrupted and hopefully fix it, or at least find a file recovery software to locate and copy the missing files off.

I guess if I can't fix the directory I'll have to pull everything off and reformat... I dunno if I have the space on my other volumes to safely store them while I scrape it down.

Your help is MOST appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Brett